Welcome.

Welcome to everyone participating in the 2009 Bible Reading at Beaverton Christian Church -- Jesus, the Law, and the Prophets. Each week, there will be a new article posted with some thoughts about the week's reading. You're invited to share your thoughts about the reading in the comments for the day's post. You can also sign-up on the right to receive these posts by email. A copy of the reading plan is available here.

And don't forget, we're discussing the week's reading on
Sundays at 9:15am, room B-304, at Beaverton Christian Church.

Monday, February 16, 2009

You're gonna have to serve somebody. Deuteronomy 28:47-48a.

Scripture.
47 If you do not serve the Lord your God with joy and enthusiasm for the abundant benefits you have received, 48 you will serve your enemies whom the Lord will send against you. (Deut. 28:47-48a NLT)

Observation.
I know from other study that Deuteronomy follows a pattern similar to "suzerain treaties" of the Ancient Near East, and so I know this is a section to be expected - the blessings for following the treaty, and the curses for disobedience. But that knowledge doesn't prepare me for the raw statements of curse -- where every blessing listed before is turned upside down.

This verse, though, looks more like a universal law, like gravity, and not so much a curse. Gravity - if you stand on a bridge over a canyon you will enjoy the view, but if you step off ... you'll end up like Wile E. Coyote.

What really stands out is that God says that in this arrangement we begin in blessing, "for the abundant benefits you have received." Why in the world wouldn't I serve the Lord with joy and enthusiasm? (One way I might not was given earlier, in v. 14 - "You must not turn away from any of the commands I am giving you today, nor follow after other gods and worship them.")

The other idea that stands out is that the choice is very black and white ... serve the Lord or serve my enemies. God is my friend, the one who wants the best for me.

Application.
Today, I need to focus carefully on serving the Lord my God by being obedient to him.

Prayer.
God, will you sound the alarm if and when I get off track today? Let me remember what you have taught as it applies to every thought, action, and encounter I have today, and to remember the abundant benefits you have provided. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment