Welcome.

Welcome to everyone participating in the 2009 Bible Reading at Beaverton Christian Church -- Jesus, the Law, and the Prophets. Each week, there will be a new article posted with some thoughts about the week's reading. You're invited to share your thoughts about the reading in the comments for the day's post. You can also sign-up on the right to receive these posts by email. A copy of the reading plan is available here.

And don't forget, we're discussing the week's reading on
Sundays at 9:15am, room B-304, at Beaverton Christian Church.

Monday, February 16, 2009

Devastated. Deuteronomy 28:49-68.

Scripture.
“Just as the Lord has found great pleasure in causing you to prosper and multiply, the Lord will find pleasure in destroying you. You will be torn from the land you are about to enter and occupy." (Deut. 28:63 NLT)

Observation.
This was a hard passage to read. The line about the delicate woman ... was awful enough.

But God will find pleasure in destroying? That can't be right. Maybe I can find a more palatable translation. Nope.

Well ... I need to really think about this and see what God can show me. But what all these curses do show is that a commitment to God is dead serious. As I think about what it means to slam the door in Jesus' face when he knocks and asks to enter, I understand the blessing and curse choice. What about every day after that first choice?

Application.
Today, just like yesterday, I need to focus carefully on serving the Lord my God by being obedient to him.

Prayer.
God, will you open me up to understand who you really are? Let me see clearly what I need to do for that to happen. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment