Welcome.

Welcome to everyone participating in the 2009 Bible Reading at Beaverton Christian Church -- Jesus, the Law, and the Prophets. Each week, there will be a new article posted with some thoughts about the week's reading. You're invited to share your thoughts about the reading in the comments for the day's post. You can also sign-up on the right to receive these posts by email. A copy of the reading plan is available here.

And don't forget, we're discussing the week's reading on
Sundays at 9:15am, room B-304, at Beaverton Christian Church.

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Scripture.

"Come, let us return to the LORD.
He has torn us to pieces
but he will heal us;
he has injured us
but he will bind up our wounds."


Observation.
These are hopeful words from the prophet who lived out God's role in restoration.

I remember several years ago when the economy had tightened up, and I joined many others who no longer had a job. Seemingly, there was always one of two reactions on the part of "Christians". Their faith was strengthened, or their faith broke down.

Crisis does that. "How could you let this happen to me, God? Where are you now, when I need you?" Instead of, "Help me to be patient God. To wait upon you. To know what to do next. To remember you are God all the time."

Israel deserved every bit of what was about to take place. But even as Hosea sounded out the judgment of God as a result of Israel's spiritual adultery, he affirmed that there remained a future hope of deliverance and restoration.

Application.
The invitation is there, all the time. We have to do the returning though. I have to do the returning. This is passage is about what John wrote in his letter -- return to God, confess your sins, and He is faithful to forgive. Amen to that.

Prayer.
Let my day begin with a commitment to follow the rabbi. Let my day end with confession of my missteps. Keep me to it, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment